Dreary days postponed
That's the Two dreary days. The time after you get knocked out of the World Cup, when you have to face up to not being in the World Cup any more (this is on top of the 1425 dreary days when the World Cup isn't even on, a futile and empty time which is supposed to be beyond the scope of this post but keeps cropping up because I can't stop thinking about it).
It's a delicate business, keeping yourself ready for the dreary days. Hope is the enemy on account of its natural pairing with renewed despair, but there is no point trying to repress it or it will just burst out when you least expect it and cause you to say something optimistic about Jude Bellingham being a natural born winner when people might hear you.
Instead, a kind of Stoic detachment is necessary. The guiding principle of Stoicism is that negative emotion expended on events beyond our control is wasted energy, so we should focus instead on the things we can affect. England results fall within the category of events beyond our control, but our reactions to them do not. Hope and despair cannot be avoided, so they must be contemplated, experienced and transcended.
I am calling this The Extremely Manageable Problem, to inspire myself to manage it, and also so its acronym is TEMP, which will remind me that this too shall pass. We lost 2-1 to Uruguay in 2018, and I really think I'm over it now. It helped when Luis Suarez was thrown out of the tournament for biting an opponent, mind. I'm still laughing about that.
I've been keeping myself ready for TEMP, like I said I would, but so far England have been unexpectedly postponing the dreary moment by repeatedly winning. This is appalling. I've been very good and transcended all kinds of hope, but now it's creeping round the edges and scaring me.
Do you think it's odd that I should react to hope with fear? Then you clearly haven't been paying attention, because we've been here often enough before. In the last five tournaments (World Cups and Euros) we have reached a semi final, a final, a quarter final, another final and now a semi final again, without ever actually winning. The men's team, that is. The women won the Euros, then they got to the World Cup final, then they won the Euros again. The men need to catch up.
To be fair we've done really well so far. We won our group with two wins and a draw, then we beat Congo DR in the round of 32, Mexico in the round of 16 and last night Norway in the quarter finals. If we beat Argentina in the semi finals and France or Spain in the final we won't have to face any dreary days for years.
There I go again. You see the problem, of course. The most likely real world outcome of all this success is that we will face the dreary days having allowed ourselves to hope that we might not. And even if we did win our rejoicing would be tempered by the knowledge that the World Cup was over (The Too Big Problem). There's county cricket, the Tour de France and Count Binface to bridge us across to August 14th when the Championship kicks off, but otherwise we'll be stuck with summer fun and talking to people. Oh look there's a tree, I could say. I bet its bark contains lichen. Do you want to talk about Jude Bellingham now? No, I didn't think so.
More dreary day news as soon after Wednesday as I can face. This probably means Friday.
Comments
Post a Comment